Can you become a DEA agent with felony?
Before knowing If you can become a DEA agent with felony? You must know what you are dealing with here? A Felony is a crime more serious than misdemeanor.
Misdemeanor is defined as wrong doing in US law and people can get suspended for misdemeanor behavior.
On the other hand, A Felony is serious crime and felony charges are made against a person for those crimes. These crimes include fraud, theft or even murder.
What are Felony crimes?
Felony crimes are more than just misdemeanors . And the punishment for felony crimes can result in seizure of convicted person’s land or goods.
Violent crimes like murder, rape, assault, animal cruelty and other serious crimes like drug abuse, theft of property or goods, burglary , larceny, driving under influence, fraud and public
drunkenness comes under felony.
Punishment of felony crimes varies from death sentence to minimum one year jail depending upon nature of crime.
Impacts of felony charges
A person with felony charges can face serious consequences for life time. He will loose his right to vote, civil rights and the right to sit in a jury. Any person convicted of felony charges can’t possess firearms either and may loose his job and property.
A person with felony charges will always be treated “different”. These people will no longer remain “trusted”. Government can not trust them any more for employment in institutions that involves direct exposure to society such as law enforcement institutions, schools and hospitals.
What are type of jobs that Felons are restricted to do?
Felons are restricted to do many jobs. Mostly government jobs will come with a notice that clean criminal record is needed. A felon is prohibited to serve in law enforcement, hospitals and schools. If someone is charged for drug abuse, they may be restricted to do driving for certain number of years. Which can greatly effect their employment .
Felony will be great hurdle in professional career of a person. He will not be able to receive any financial aid or admission in certain institutions.
A person already doing a job, will loose his job and may even be prohibited to work further in that work environment.
Duties and role of DEA agent
Drug enforcement administration special agents deals with investigations involving dealing drugs , illegal drugs and drugs abuse. The primary duty of DEA agent is to control drugs and stop the source before it could spread the evil of drugs in society.
DEA terminates any illegal operation of drugs and destroy the institutions involving it.
Their job demands lots of documentation. Sometimes they have to do surveillance and may have physical encounters with criminals as well. So physical fitness is must for them.
Job out look and tasks
A DEA agent deals with drugs crimes .Their tasks involves preparing for case, collecting evidence, doing surveillance and preparing report . A DEA may also testify in court about fact findings.
How to become a DEA agent?
In order to become DEA agent, you need a bachelor’s degree in law enforcement or criminal justice studies. A person must be US citizen. Keeping in view about DEA job outlook a person must have good health and physical fitness.
Age requirement is between 21-36 yrs.
To become DEA agent, first you need to earn degree and than apply in drug enforcement agency for job or internship. After written test and interview they will take complete health tests and run background checks. After passing all that, you will be hired as DEA agent and you can receive on job training.
Extra skills for DEA
Some extra skills can earn you this job sooner than expected. If you already have law enforcement experience , technical expertise or know foreign languages it will be plus point for DEA job.
Expected salary and growth rate
DEA agents earn up to $58,000 per annum.
Currently more than 5000 DEA agents are working in field in USA and many vacancies are still open for hiring. A DEA agent has promising career and can earn more according to their degree, extra certifications and experience.
Rise in crime rates need individuals to stop them. A drug free society is healthy society over all. A DEA agent is like vacuum cleaner who cleans all the unhealthy evil from society.
Possible job titles and Related careers
A DEA agent may also be known as
DEA special agent
intelligence research specialist or
The DEA agent has related careers like
CIA agent and
Can you become a DEA agent with felony?
We are sorry to say that a person convicted of felony cannot be a DEA agent.
Reasons for this rejection are simple yet clear
- DEA agent job requires a clean back ground check and a felon will never get a chance to qualify for this.
- A Felon can not possess a firearm. And a DEA agent do not only possess firearms but may also use it when needed.
- A felon needs rehabilitation and the process can be long. Sometimes even after release from jail they have to stay in touch for long time with correction officers.
- As they don’t get financial aid so they may not be able to get admission in university to earn desired degree to become DEA agent. Universities also demands backgrounds check before giving admission.
- DEA job requires a strength to handle physical and emotional shifts and a felon may not be able to bear pressure of job
- A Felon person in law enforcement may raise questions in people’s mind. As when his own reputation is on stake, no one else will believe about what he is saying.
- Unlike a DEA agent, a felony cannot testify in court regarding investigation.
- Although a felon may go through rehab but their instincts can not be trusted again.
- A felon can not get a job in government institutions that involves public dealing due to risk factor. The chances of emotional shift, or criminal courage are always high than common people.